Make-up removal and moisturizing are an important part of a girl’s daily routine. If it’s not, it should be. However, it adds chemicals to your face and often costs more than it’s worth.
You should never let make-up sit in your pores over night because so much cell repair happens while we sleep, and we definitely do not want to disrupt that. A woman I much admire once told me every time you leave your make-up on at night it takes 10 minutes off the ‘life’ of your face. I know that can’t be scientifically proven, and may be off base, but every time I drop down exhausted into bed and consider skipping the clean routine, her voice pops into my head.
There are thousands of different brands out there for make-up removal and moisturizing. Most of them contain chemicals I can’t pronounce, and as a general rule I avoid putting that stuff on my skin.
Top Reasons to Switch:
- Most contain mineral oil which inhibits your body’s natural ability to release toxins.
- Most contain the ingredient “fragrance” which is just a clever way to hide chemicals. These have been linked to asthma, allergies, and dizziness.
- Most contain parabens which is used as a preserve. Parabens are linked to cancer, endocrine disruption, reproductive toxicity.
As a general rule, if you won’t drink it, don’t put it on your skin. When you ingest something, your liver and kidneys can filter it before it hits your blood stream. When you put it on your skin, it goes directly to the blood stream, so keep this in mind next time you see that list of 25 ingredients…
And then I found Coconut Oil
I stumbled upon using coconut oil almost a year ago, and it is amazing for moisturizing and removing make-up. I buy the very large containers from Costco. You buy it in a 2-pack, and it works out to being about $13 a container. It’s 42 oz, so talk about super affordable!
The results of research from the benefits of coconut oil is impressive. (Later I will have a post entirely dedicated to its wonderfulness).
So for now, here was a big win for me personally:
- MY SKIN: I noticed marked improvement in my skin since using coconut oil. I used to have deep acne scars on my cheek bones and a very uneven skin tone. And while I can’t claim I’ll naturally get the best skin award or anything, those scars are gone (or at least so small I and my husband can’t see them).
Now the simple 2 step routine:
- I put about 1 tsp of coconut oil all over my face, and I let it sit for about a minute. I then wash my face normally.
- Then I add just a little dollop for moisturizing. (I also add some to my neck because I have lines on my neck that I very much hate though coconut oil has helped with those as well).
And that’s it!
You will be left with a completely fresh face sans make-up (never thought I would post a picture of me without make-up on purpose). Super easy, chemical free!
And the best part (well, aside from no chemicals on your skin)? The Savings in your Budget!
The 1 tsp of coconut oil you use will save you 88% per oz over the avg store bought brand (like Aveeno) and is less than half the price per oz. than the more affordable (but more chemical ridden) Cetaphil!