As you all know, budgeting is my game! I know some people get a high from spending all kinds of money; I actually get this same effect from saving money.
The holiday season is a time of spending, so sometimes it can be difficult to put forth a little more to stock up on groceries, but I always set aside some for this time of year because the savings are amazing! Prices on certain items are never lower than this time of year.
Here are my top holiday stock up items:
- Sugar including Brown Sugar and Powdered Sugar
- Flour -even the gluten free varieties are often discounted.
- Butter- This is a big one for me! We go through a ton of butter, and it’s uber expensive! I don’t buy ANY margarine because it’s basically poison for your body, not to mention gross. I just bought a bunch of butter at $1.50/lb which is excellent for my area! Yay! It doesn’t take up much space in the freezer.
- Crackers-My family doesn’t eat a ton of crackers, but they do come in handy sometimes.
- Chocolate/Butterscotch/Peanut Butter Chips-I prefer the Ghirardelli chocolate chips (their chocolate is free trade and more delicious), and they bottom out this time of year.
Stock up when the deals are best!
- Soups and Broths– I prefer to make my soup stocks and broths from scratch from bones and carcasses, but this isn’t always an option. These will last for years on the shelf, and soups are inexpensive and is an excellent way to use up extra vegetables or the random ones you throw in the freezer before they go bad. I definitely have to keep beef broth in stock because my kids love my Sausage Italian Soup!
- Frozen Seafood– I live no where near the ocean (major bummer because I love it so much. How do I get the ocean to St George…?), so pretty much all the seafood we buy is frozen. It’s a total bummer because seafood is my favorite! I like to pick up a few extra bags of shrimp to save some money. Besides, I always have to keep extra shrimp on hand because I am crazy about sushi and we make it all the time!
A few other items such as sweet and condensed milk, corn syrup, cake mixes, etc. are also on sale this time of year, but I find it’s even cheaper to make them myself. But if you want to cut out the hassle, consider some of these as well.
Most of this list is comprised of baking essentials because the holidays are when people bake! Stocking up on these items when they bottom out literally saves me hundreds of dollars each year. It’s amazing how a little here and there adds up right?
What items do you stock up on during the holidays?